Monday, April 4, 2011

Then and Now

My youngest turned two this weekend!

Photobucket

How terrible could this year be, with such a silly little guy cast in the role of holy terror?

Photobucket

Dollar store checklist: 3 packages of "windmill" flowers — dismantled and strung over the table, 2 garlands for the centerpiece, plates, cups, and two rolls of coordinating wrapping paper.

Photobucket

He thought the cake was very exciting. When he saw it, he gasped in amazement and yelled "COOKIE!!"

Photobucket

He then tried to touch every strawberry and stab the candles into various surfaces.

Photobucket

After that, he noticed the presents. "Openenen!" (He likes to add a few extra syllables to the ends of his words; you can never have too many, you know.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tell you what though, this kid is a lousy candle blower-outer. He is SO not getting a wish this year. But that's probably for the best; I know him, and I know that his wish would involve unfettered access to: the yard, the fridge, and my phone. And probably something about being the center of the universe.

Photobucket

He had two very eager siblings to help him with the difficult task of unwrapping presents.

Photobucket

Photobucket

As is the custom at our house, his siblings got a present too.

Photobucket

But once they were finished unwrapping their gifts, they zoomed right back to his side, vying to be the next up to give him something to open.

Photobucket

(You can almost hear the zooming.)

Photobucket

He opened that box of crayons and immediately peeled and broke every one of them.

Hey look, we were there, too:

Photobucket

Photobucket

After opening presents, we headed to Chila Berries for some frozen yogurt goodness.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I sent the kids out to play in the yard while I made the birthday boy his favorite dinner — taco night.

Photobucket

My daughter's second birthday ended with me collapsing in exhaustion at the end of the day. My oldest son's ended with him melting down from the over-stimulation. This time, I think we finally found the right balance between just another day and way too much work for a birthday party that a child is too young to remember anyway. At the end of the day he was still happy, and so was everyone else.

Added bonus: his decorations can double as Easter season decorations.

Photobucket

13 comments:

Katherine said...

Happy birthday to the 2 year old!

You always manage to turn dollar store items into such wonderful things. I love the floating flowers.

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

Great photos and even better decorations! Happy birthday to your littlest man!

Oh, and now that I live in civilization where there are a multitude of dollar stores I want to try the same challenge. What store do you use? Dollar General? Family Dollar? Dollar Tree?

A Prairie Girl in California said...

you amaze me every time!!! Your cake is stunning!!! and your decorations are awesome!!!
Your lucky kids;)

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

It's nice to see another family who gives siblings presents also. My friends and family think we're spoiling the children, when we do that.

Hydrant girl said...

So very cute! Love the idea of the siblings getting gifts too. love the picture of his older brother seeming sad he didn't get the tonka set.

Great decorations - I'm on my way to the Dollar store.

melanie said...

Happy Birthday to the big guy! Really love the idea of giving presents to the siblings too, I might need to steal that idea. And that cake looked so good! yum :)

Fire Wife Katie said...

Thanks Prairie Girl and Katherine! He had a great time! I wish I could take credit for the cake, but all I did to it was put the strawberries on top. :) The bakery did the rest.

Jen, I usually go to 99 Cents Only, but we also have a Dollar Tree in town that has good stuff.

Jen@scrapingirl and melanie, we love the sibling present! It makes the day fun for all, and everyone has something to look forward to. I figure it's the equivalent of the party gift bags that the kids give out these days. :)

Hydrant Girl, I hope you found something good at the dollar store!

LisaDay said...

Happy second birthday. Sounds like a fantastic time.

LisaDay

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

Thanks! I will have to check out our dollar tree and see what kind of cool stuff I can drum up :)

The Coupon Sista said...

Beautiful pics- you do such a nice job!
Returning the follow from UBP11. Have fun!

Michelle said...

Such precious pictures!

Happy Birthday to your son.

Looks like it was a fun day.

Thanks for following me from UBP2011.

I am your newest follower.

Katie said...

You did a great job!!! Looks like an awesome party for a very cute 2 year old!!!

jade said...

You are so creative! Loved the pic.."you can almost hear them zooming!"

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...