Friday, March 25, 2011

The storm before the calm before the storm.

I have to admit, I'm going to miss this weather when it's gone. There's something to be said for a storm that stands up and makes a bold statement. I like it when the rain lets itself be known. It makes me aware of the goings-on outside. And for someone who has become too busy and/or tired to enjoy nature as much as I should, big storms force me to remember the beauty of it all. The threat of the sky swirling and falling adds a nice undercurrent of excitement to my day (as long as no one gets hurt). It reminds me that I have emotions bigger than the usual set that get cycled through from day to day.

A glimpse of sunlight yesterday between the bands of rain:

Photobucket

The same sky, a few minutes later, swarmed by the dark, drippy clouds:

Photobucket

My husband had to drive around road blocks and through two feet of water to get to work this morning. Thank goodness he finally got around to buying a truck; my little bean of a Rondo would have bobbed happily as it drifted away.

I appreciate the bad weather - but only if I don't have to be in it, or experience any sort of analogous turmoil in other parts of life!

7 comments:

Warren Baldwin said...

What an amazing sky, and such beautiful photos to capture it. Good job. And, you could send some of that rainy weather to southwest Kansas! We are dry here and could use rain.

Fire Wife Katie said...

Thanks Warren, I'll see what strings I can pull to send some of this moisture your way. :)

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

Oh I love sky like that! Our storm season doesn't roll around until June or so... so I'll revel in your photos :)

A Prairie Girl in California said...

awesome pictures!! Indeed the skies have been pretty, but, I am ready for some sunshine now;)

Buttercup said...

Fabulous pictures! The other night we had sleet, hail, thunder and lightning. Awesome, but miserable to be out walking in it, as I was.

Suz said...

What cool photos!

LisaDay said...

It scares me. I always think a tornado is going to sweep me away.

LisaDay

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...