Monday, March 7, 2011

Recent dollar store finds

Photobucket

Apparently, I was craving Mexican the last time I went to the dollar store. Okay — so maybe ginger isn't synonymous with Mexican food, but buying a bag seemed like the right thing to do. I made carne asada that night.

I found these great puzzles there, too. The pieces are large and the puzzle felt like it was worth the $8.95 price marked on the box. These puzzles are still being played with a week later. That may be a length of play record for a dollar toy at our house.

Photobucket

It's startling how often I have to re-stock the glue sticks, pens, and paints. Note to the kids: I don't think these are intended to be single-use items.

Photobucket

These ceramic vessels will soon hold attempts number 4 and 5 at growing herbs on my counter top.

Photobucket

But this is my most appreciated purchase from the trip. These were very handy when I had to chop those jalapenos for the carne asada.

Photobucket

A package of these should be sent home, standard, at a baby's 18 month appointment. A hundred gloves should just about cover the number of times a mother of a toddler will need to fish things out of the toilet.

9 comments:

ciara said...

ole'! hehe bag of ginger for $1 is muy bueno :o)

The Neal Family said...

Oh my! I loved this post! For one, I love Dollar store finds too. In fact, I was just bragging to my husband of the great bunny slippers I found for my niece at Target tonight. And secondly, my daughter is at the throwing things in the toilet phase too, I can't help but laugh at how much I can sympathize!!

SherilinR said...

i've never cooked with big ginger chunks. got any good recipes? i'm bored with my recipe box.
does wearing gloves help when chopping those peppers? gosh, i sound like a total kitchen novice, but i guess i just haven't expanded as much as i should & didn't know you could use gloves to enhance your cooking experience.

Fire Wife Katie said...

Ciara, I couldn't pass up that deal!

Neal family, glad to hear I'm not the only one with a toddler with a toilet problem. Here's hoping the fascination with it means early potty training! :D

Sherilin, I was just searching for ginger recipes, and found this one that happened to include a lot of the ingredients from my trip:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/03/ginger-steak-salad/

I wear the gloves because whenever I chop peppers, the juices find a way to seep into the corners of my fingernails and I feel the burn all day. Then I go to lick frosting off of a finger, only to be greeted by a dose of crazy hot jalapeno oil that won't wash off no matter how many times I scrub my fingers. That stuff is potent!!

Jenn said...

I love the dollar store! It is fun seeing what you can find for just a buck :)

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

I absolutely love your Dollar Store adventures! Maybe I will go and find some things to make my house feel more like spring... especially since we just had a snow storm yesterday.

Oh, and we keep an entire box of gloves from the ambulance here at home. You should ask your hubby to snag some for you!

Fire Wife said...

Yay dollar store! I went last night to get one specific item. An hour after I got home I realized I had come home with two bags full of items (for only $13! weee!), but forgot the one thing I needed.

Guess now I have an excuse to go back, right?

MrsPsychoMama (Linda) said...

Wow--we have the 99 cent store in southern Cali. I'll have to go and check out the booty!

Thanks for the reminder:). Please don't tell me you scored those brightly-colored jalapenos, too? We don't stock those, for sure.

Fire Wife Katie said...

Linda, you might be surprised!! 99 Cent Only is where I shop, and if they have jalapenos here, they very well could stock them down south! :D Good luck!

Fire Wife, I always end up forgetting one of the very things I went there to get. It's like there's a big magnetic field at the front door that wipes my memory as I pass through.

Jen, good call about scoring a box of gloves from DH. I'll have to remember to have him pick some up for me when these run out.

Jenn, I'm constantly amazed by what you can find at the dollar store. Not pictured in this post are the 2 liters of pepsi-brand soda. I'm excited when they go on sale at the grocery store for $1.25, and there they were for a dollar. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...