Friday, February 4, 2011

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

There's a language barrier in our household. It's becoming a problem. I can't communicate with the computer,

Photobucket

the television,

Photobucket

or the DVD player.

Photobucket

I don't know the details of how this happened, other than that it involved those squishy little fingers, his toys in close proximity, and buttons that are way too easy to access.

Photobucket

I'm not sure what language my computer is speaking. German, I'd guess, but it could be something else.

The T.V. and the DVD player, however, are speaking French. This is my littlest one's way to tell his parents who he cares for the most.

His father, you see, speaks Spanish. He doesn't just hobble along with the language like your standard white guy; he speaks it fluently. And he doesn't sound like an American speaking fluently; he has a Cuban accent! (I guess a couple of years in Miami will do that to one's Spanish.)

Anyway.

The baby's father speaks Spanish. I speak French. And by "speak," I mean vaguely recognize words and accents as a result of that stupid foreign language requirement they have at liberal arts colleges. I had to be out the door at 8:20 a.m. for that class. 8 freaking 20!! To comprehend a foreign language! That was painfully early for me in those days. There was nothing remotely romantic about French. Not the way I spoke it, anyway.

Obviously, the baby is trying to reach out; to communicate to the parent he loves the most. (We'll conveniently gloss over the fact that he runs to his dad when given a choice, and he goes to sleep easily for dad when it takes me half an hour to get him to stay in bed.)

You'd think I would search through the various menus and re-set the language.

You'd think an adult woman could figure out how to search through the foreign language menus and re-set the language.

You'd think an adult woman could decide whether it's "menu's" or "menus."

If you think an adult woman could benefit from a nap right now, you'd be right.

12 comments:

Cristina said...

It would be much better for everyone if the baby could just switch it so closed captioning pop up on the screen. That always happens in English.

Go take a nap. And buy him buttons to push all day long while you sleep.

Firefighter/Paramedic said...

"You'd think an adult woman could figure out how to search through the foreign language menus and re-set the language."

That's one of the many reasons you married me. I'll fix it.

Quest, The said...

One time on a flight I accidentally changed my iPod language to Chinese. That was a challenge.

Fire Wife Katie said...

Lol, Quest! Did you call the manufacturer? (native language) :)

Mickey said...

Look for the word "Sprache" on the computer. That's the German word for language.

Fire Wife Katie said...

Thanks, Mickey!

SherilinR said...

that happened on my tv for a while. it kept telling me "mudo" for mute.

Katherine said...

At random times, our television gives us closed captioning in French. We can't take it off. The language says "English", the closed captioning says "off" and still at random times, like if there is singing, we get French closed captioning. Strangest thing ever.

Mickey said...

No problem. I've spoken German almost as long as I've spoken English. I even have a degree in it. So I'm glad when I can actually use it! :) Even if it's only for translating menus! :)

Firefighter/Paramedic said...

I love that my little boy is playing with a Transformer and a fire engine. Almost makes me tear up.

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

lol. Your husband's comments make me laugh Katie.

And I secretly have a huge fear of screwing up the language on my electronics and not being able to fix it.

sim only said...

And I secretly have a huge fear of screwing up the language on my electronics and not being able to fix it easily...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...