Saturday, January 8, 2011

Oh, January.

What is it about this month that makes it so sleepy and gray and forgotten? I am thinking that the chemical combination of red dye plus butter and carbs and chocolate plus a hint of mint is coma-inducing. Further studies will be conducted.

The January coma manifests itself in me in the form of forgetfulness. This month I've already forgotten to put the bills in the mail box after stuffing them in their envelopes. I've forgotten a doctor's appointment. I completely forgot about an important meeting. I've lost my keys more times than is normal for someone my age.

I forgot to roll down the window to say the ritual final "goodbye" when I dropped my daughter off at school, which resulted in her looking confused, hand half-raised, as I drove away. I remembered just in time to see her forlorn figure in my rear-view mirror. There was no remedy; the circular one-way driveway in front of the school was choked with cars. I couldn't make it back to say a proper goodbye to her. (She said she was fine when I picked her up, by the way. It's simply my mommy guilt that burns into my mind the image of her standing sadly still, while the other children rushed past her to class.)

And last night, I could not remember if I had already taken a shower that day. Today is only the 8th; I'm worried about what my mind may inconveniently glaze over during the rest of the month!

One item I have resolved NOT to allow myself to forget is that tomorrow is my 12th wedding anniversary.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had turned 22 just a month prior. Did I really know what I was doing at that point in my young life? Somehow I had managed to find this other person that had the perfect mix of personality and faults to fit comfortably next to me. I knew he was the one by how un-awkward and actually enjoyable the quiet times were during long car rides.

You know what I was doing, first thing in the morning on our wedding day?

Sewing a thin ribbon onto the hem of my veil.

:)

17 comments:

Michaela said...

Awww, beautiful wedding pic! I look forward to being married 12 years to my hubby, too. Have a great anniversary. xo

lyndylou said...

I have forgotten my keys so many times that I have had to get the locksmith out twice in a month! I just don't know where my head is just now, definitely not attached to my body!

Happy anniversary :)

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

Oh my, you are off to a roaring start in 2011! haha. And happy anniversary! Twelve years? I bet it seemed like yesterday. Long car rides are such a great indicator for marriage. If you don't want to kill each other or open the door and roll out onto the pavement at 55mph after being crammed in 8 cubic feet then its meant to be :)

Trina said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Jen@Scrapingirl said...

HA!! The rest of the year can only go up from here. :) Happy Anniversary!! Sewing in the morning, awesome. I was shopping the morning of my wedding day. It was Black Friday, after all. :)

Melissa Creech said...

Happy Anniversary K & K! We were 22 too- seems crazier the older we get!

FireMom said...

Happy Anniversary!

We were (*does math*) 23 (me) and 22 (him). I got annoyed when people claimed we were "young" to get married. I was the first not to get married at 18! (My brother got married at 19 five years after I got married.) Anyway, I was adamant that we were old enough and mature and so damn perfect.

Omg, we were so young. It amuses us to NO end now. It was obviously meant to be, but yes, we were young. And that's okay.

Lisa said...

Congrats on the anniversary. As for Jan., I look at it with dread, Uncle Sam is going to come knocking on the door soon.

Maybe you just need to up the vitamins and coffee intake. LOL

Wendy said...

Happiest Anniversary wishes to you!! I received my Fire Wife window sticker this week and I thank you for directing me that way :) As for the forlorn looks ... I've seen them myself and know that no matter how hard I try, I'll probably see many more in my lifetime :)

Our Crazy Crew said...

Happy Anniversary! Think about adding some vitamin D every day in the winter. We become hibernating bears and lose a lot of our daily dose of sun. It will help the memory, mood and energy!

Katherine said...

January is a terrible month.

Happy Anniversary. I look back at how young I was when I got married and realize there was a whole lot of pure luck involved in me being as happy as I am now.

Firefighter/Paramedic said...

Happy anniversary and thanks for putting up with me. Love you!

LizB627 said...

Happy Anniversary!!
I got all the way to the grocery store yesterday before I realized I forgot my pocketbook at home :(

melaniek said...

Happy Anniversary!! If it helps, hubby and I got married when we were 21 & 20, respectively.

Cristina said...

We just celebrated Lucky 13, and on my wedding day I forgot my dress! I've been forgetting things ever since.

Happy anniversary you pair of cuties :)

brian said...

Congratulations!

Mary said...

Katie, I hope you had a wonderful anniversary. I wish you both the best and hope you'll be able to spend decades more together. Have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...