Thursday, November 11, 2010

Has it really come to this?

Some people in our house have been abusing their chair privileges. And I'm not talking about the cat.

Photobucket

I'm not talking about my husband, either. Although he has been known to lean back on this Ikea Poang chair to the point of no return. Sometimes the coffee table is close enough for him to make a last-second spastic movement and hook his toe under the edge; sometimes not. Poor chair. It's been through a lot.

No, I'm talking about the abusers of these chairs.

Photobucket

This is our used and abused kitchen table. It used to be that these bulky former office side chairs were big enough to deter the children from moving them.

Last year my older two discovered that the chairs could become mobile in our new place; gliding, with a little effort, across the vinyl kitchen floor. Within a few weeks, my daughter was mysteriously getting cups of milk (and filling/spilling them) on her own. Soon, the misuses escalated and the counter became a stepping stool to reach for Dad's chips that were "out of reach" on top of the fridge.

Photobucket

The older two can be told "no" fairly effectively. The baby, however, still has that short-term memory loss that compels him to commit the same offense that he was just reprimanded for, not five minutes prior. When he learned to throw his body at the chairs to get them to slide inch by inch all the way over to the counters, drastic measures had to be taken.

My firefighter came up with a plan...

Photobucket

Sigh.

Pretty? No. But at least it works!!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


For those of you following along, chapter four has been posted. :)

10 comments:

melaniek said...

I feel your pain ;b lol I wish my chairs had bottoms like yours so I could do the same thing. Ahhhh, why can't learning "No" come as easy to them as escape artist abilities.

Stef at TooMuchToDoSoLittleTime.com said...

Quite ingenious!

Cristina said...

It could be worse. I'll come back when I've figured out how.

Katherine said...

This is hysterical. It reminds me of something my parents definitely would have done.

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

This. is. Awesome.

Courtney said...

Oh goodness! We're starting to get there in my house too. We started noticing my 2 yr old getting his playroom chairs to use as step stools for things several months ago. He could also open the pantry doors when he was hungry to look inside at where we keep his snacks. So far, it's been pretty harmless. He's very independent and has been increasingly wanting to do things himself. However, just a few days ago, I started noticing that he is now able to open the fridge, and has semi-learned how to lock and unlock the front door - YIKES!

Rach said...

LOL. That looks EXACTLY like something my hubs would try...

Val - Firefighter Wife said...

So cute. Hubby was sitting here next to me when I pulled this post up. Made us both laugh. I guess I'll be thankful for the yucky looking carpet in the dining room while the kids were little. Yes, it was because of the playdoh, paint, food and more that the carpet is so yucky in the dining room. WHO CARPETS A DINING ROOM? lol

Kathryn said...

I also have a husband who reclines too far in chairs. After destroying 3 different office chairs, I opted for an office chair from IKEA that has a cheap, removable plastic seat. We've been through 3 of those seats so far :( But at least they're only $4.99 ea.

Jenny said...

We did the EXACT same thing and we even tried bungee cords! HA!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...