Monday, July 19, 2010

Waking up from a nap

I heard the door open, followed by the muffled sounds of hugs and kisses being distributed to the kids downstairs. "How was your night?" I called out.

"It was horrible." It was a rhetorical question; the droop in his stature as he walked up the stairs said enough. "I got run all night, and the stupid speaker system was malfunctioning. Every hour it would make a static noise, just like we were going to get a call. I sat up and put my socks on three times unnecessarily, on top of everything else."

I walked over to him, gave him a big hug, and sent him to his room. I tried to keep the children quiet, but I knew that it wouldn't matter much. The odds of him actually taking a nap were slim to none. I heard him turn the water on and knew that he was opting for a long soak in scalding hot water instead.

Photobucket

Apparently, for some people, sleeping during the day is even worse than being exhausted. It's hard for me to understand that; I feel like stretching and smiling when I wake up from a nap. For my husband, he feels even worse than he did before he fell asleep, or so I'm told. On the days when he does succumb to sleeping, it takes him a good hour to reboot after he wakes up.

Our son takes after his dad. He just doesn't handle getting up from a nap well. The other day, I found him curled up asleep on the floor with his comfort items. (He used to ask for his lovey and his blankie and his kitty and his puppy individually when he needed them. Then one morning he came into my room and asked me to hold his "lots of stuff," or, as he says it, his "wots of stuff." That's what he has called his things ever since.)

The items help him to transition from waking to sleeping, and vice versa. But even his lots of stuff couldn't stem the sadness that came when he woke up the other day from a rare nap. I could not figure out how to comfort him; he didn't seem to want anything I offered. I was at a loss, not knowing, really, how he felt. I sat on the floor next to him and rubbed his back, but it didn't help.

Photobucket

Thankfully, my husband was home that day. He saw what was going on, picked his son and all of his things up, put him on the bed in the guest bedroom, and turned on Caillou. I heard my groggy little guy protesting every step of the process. But when he was all set up, he calmed right down. Half an hour later, he came out happy and told me that Daddy made him all better. Now I know what to do.

I wish I could do that for my firefighter; I wish it were as simple as giving him his lots of stuff and putting on a show when he wakes up from a nap. I'd feel a lot better about the sleepless nights at work, if he could actually nap peacefully at home the next day!

14 comments:

Hydrant girl said...

I'm with your husband - I feel like a sack of poo after a nap. My dh on the other hand LOVES naps and can't understand why I won't join him for a mid- afternoon snooze (nothing perverted meant there!)

chele said...

I love naps and I wish they would become policy at my job. Can you imagine? I could never get my kids to take naps when they were small. Of course, now they'd sleep all day if I let them!

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

haha, hydrant girl! I am with her and your husband Katie!

Napping makes me feel 100x worse when I wake up than I did before falling asleep. And I am always HORRIBLY cranky and mean for the first 10 minutes after waking up from a nap. I don't know what it is, but I can't help it. Ask Shawn. He knows better than to mess with me in my groggy, freshly-woken stupor.

cheri said...

thankfully, my little boy is nice-waker (he wakes up feeling god after a nap). he does have "wots of stuff" too.

Fruitful Vine2 said...

I feel tired when I wake from a nap only if I am exhausted. If it's a regular day then I feel good when I wake up. I wish I could offer some sort of tip to help with your hubby's naps. Hope you're enjoying the summer.

mnlop said...

Oh your little guy is so cute with his wots of stuff.

Our Crazy Crew said...

Love naps and my fire Guy can sleep anywhere anytime. It is the only way to recover from those all-nighters. They don't happen too frequently and they throw me for a loop, too. It is so hard to keep the kids quiet and I take it for granted that he sleeps most nights he's on shift. He says he sleeps better at home. There's just something about sleeping "with one eye open" expecting calls.

melaniek said...

We're right there with you, I love naps. Hubby loves to takes naps, but never feels better when he wakes up from them. You're little guy is just so adorable!

Kristy said...

My son used to wake grumpy from naps all the time, but now he hasn't done that in a long time. I don't know if getting older helps or what, but he sure does sleep and wake much better now! I love naps! I'm like you.

DanielleCorrelle said...

Your son is adorable.

I am no good for an hour after waking up...morning or nap. I prefer not to take naps at all, it's rare that I do, usually only when I'm sick. I have trouble falling asleep at night too.

My FF can sleep any time, any where. I wish! :o)

FireMom said...

I don't nap during the day. I can't. But my firefighter sure does!

Katie said...

That's absolutely precious!!! My ex husband was the worst person to have to wake up. From naps...in the morning...anytime...and our son together is the same way...he has a blankie & pooh bear that help him.

Your pics are precious too!

Thanks for following me...sorry I'm so late getting over here! Love your blog though! And thanks for being a FF wife!

Chloe said...

I've always felt terrible after napping until someone told me about only napping for 20 minutes. It's supposed to be the perfect amount of time to recharge without getting into deep sleep which can be a nasty experience to wake up from. Maybe your husband could try powernapping like this? It works for me!

Fire Wife Katie said...

Thanks for the comments, I had no idea that waking up groggy was such a common thing! Chloe, I think there's something to the power nap thing. A short nap like that does seem to have the best results for my husband.

Chele, I can't wait until the children get older and think that sleeping in is a beautiful thing!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...