Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Easter Candy Effect

Here's the theory. The kids pig out on their holiday candy stash, feel yucky, and within a day or two, want nothing to do with sugar for the next ten years. (That's when I swoop in and "dispose" of the offending chocolate for them.)

The new poster paints had a similar fate.

Photobucket

My daughter was so excited to show me her painted hands, but in the short time it took me to grab the camera and snap a few pictures, she grew tired of the immoderate indulgence. She couldn't wait to wash her hands and was begging me to hurry up. Now she is very reasonable with her paints.

Recently, the theory was proved again. After restraining the desire of my children to smother the cakes we make with every topping available, I decided to let my daughter have at it for this one. I did some basic decorations and then left her alone with the frosting and the toppings. This is what she presented to me:

Photobucket

She was so excited about this cake. However, after just one piece, she decided it was too sugary and crunchy and has not even mentioned cake ever since. This experience also appears to have curbed her desire for chocolate milk. In its place she asks for freezing cold water, with five ice cubes.

Be forewarned, however, that the Easter candy effect does not seem to apply to frozen goods, or adults. I've personally tried and tried to debunk this "ice cream excluded" portion of the theory, but so far, no luck. Don't worry; I'll keep trying — I will get to the bottom of this. In the name of science, of course.

10 comments:

Saretta said...

Clever theory! I bet if you keep applying it, it'll work more often than it doesn't... :-)

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I am not sure my son would be a good subject for the experiment. He would eat the whole cake.

Stopping from SITS!

Hydrant girl said...

LOL, let me know because I have the same problem, but with potatoe chips.

Alison said...

Wouldn't be wonderful if that theory did in fact play out for us adults? Sigh.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Alison

Fire Wife Katie said...

Further research needed on potato chips. Got it. I'll get right on that. :D

For the record, let it be known that my daughter ate one slice.

I ate four. :o

Firefighter/Paramedic said...

I tried a nibble (yes it's smaller than a bite if you were curious).

The theory fails on Mt Dew as well.

The Blonde Duck said...

It's a really cute cake though!

It works on me. I made these oatmeal white chocolate bars the other day and totally pigged out on them--now the idea of them makes me want to hurl.

Kristy said...

Ha, ha! love the last part about adults. So true. But I have found the same thing to be true with kids. What starts as an annoying obsession kind of loses its appeal when they are allowed to have it. Like grabbing the cell phone and computer. After a few times of letting him have at it, he doesn't care as much now when I use them because it's not "forbidden."

Cristina said...

So really, if I buy as many pairs of red shoes as I want I should get tired of it and, therefore, stop? Huh. Consider it done!

Though I do the same thing with my son and the first couple days of summer. He's allowed to stay up as late as he wants... sometimes as late as 1 or 2 in the morning. And then? He goes back to going to bed at "normal" times. And I go back to buying red heels :)

MsBabyPlan said...

Real cute cake.

Thanks for following me. Hope you like what you read. I am following you back.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...