Monday, June 28, 2010

Rosemary Garlic Bread

Photobucket

On a recent walk, I discovered that there are rosemary bushes lining a nearby street.

Photobucket

I think this other bush is sage, based on the color and scent. Can anyone tell me whether it is or not?

Photobucket

I enlisted my daughter's help to pilfer prune one of the rosemary bushes. I decided that this find must be celebrated with some rosemary garlic bread.

Photobucket

Our stash:

Photobucket

My sister's visit this last weekend provided the perfect opportunity to pluck some more fresh rosemary and make the loaf. This is a variation of a James Beard recipe, Pizza Caccia Nanza. This recipe isn't quick, but it is very simple.

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (between 110° and 115°)
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons rosemary
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Yield: approximately 6 servings

Photobucket

Place the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, and warm water in a large bowl. Either knead manually or use the dough hook on a stand mixer for about 15 minutes.

Photobucket

Remove the dough to a clean surface and lightly grease the mixing bowl. Form the dough into a ball and return it to the bowl. Flip it over once or twice to lightly coat the dough with the grease.

Cover the mixing bowl with a towel and let the dough rise for an hour or two in a warm, draft-free place, until about double in size.

Photobucket

Once the dough has risen, knead it again for another 10 minutes or so.

Photobucket

Form it into a ball again, and return it to the mixing bowl to double in size a second time.

Photobucket

After the second rising, preheat the oven to 400°. Knead the dough for a minute or two and place it onto a lightly floured cookie sheet. Roll the dough out to about 3/4ths of an inch thickness.

Using a knife, poke indentations all over the surface of the dough and insert a couple of rosemary leaves and a sliver of garlic into each dimple.

Photobucket

Drizzle the olive oil over the loaf and gently pat it to work the oil over the whole surface of the dough. Sprinkle with freshly ground salt and pepper to taste and bake for approximately 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove the slivers of garlic before serving.

Photobucket

19 comments:

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

That looks so good! And I love how you hung it in a towel hammock to rise. haha

Katherine said...

I usually stay away from making food that requires yeast...because it intimidates me and it takes awhile. But this is so pretty and delicious that I may step outside my comfort zone. Although I'm not sure I can find any rosemary to borrow.

AnnaMoon said...

Thanks for the recipe))) I'll try to bake!

The Coupon Goddess said...

What a beautiful loaf of bread. Great pictures!!! I'm going to try this one. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Those leaves look a bit thick to be sage and the veining and edges look wrong, but there are many varieties and I'm only familiar with one or two of them. I did a quick Google Image search as well and the results were inconclusive. But if it smells and tastes like sage, then I say use it. AFAIK there aren't any poisonous plants that mimic sage.

Linda said...

YUMMMMM! This looks fabulous!! I will be making this for the fam!! Woohoo!!

DarcyLee said...

I love rosemary and garlic in bread! Thanks for sharing this yummy-looking recipe.

jadenotjaded said...

That looks heavenly! I love that you set it in the hammock to rise!

Andrea said...

My mouth is watering. That looks fabulous. We have a rosemary bush in our backyard as big as our hot tub. I don't use it much, maybe I need to try this recipe!

Cristina said...

Yum! I love how you swiped it from (utilized it?) from the neighborhood. Perfectly resourceful. I don't know about the sage. I would say just pluck a branch or twig from one of the bushes and take it to a local nursery. They should be able to spot it right away.

Ashley said...

Rosemary is my favorite herb! This looks so good and you make it look so easy!

omgyummy said...

Saying hi from SITS! I write a blog called OMG! Yummy and I must say, that your bread looks like it qualifies. I love your photos. They are really great. As for the sage - it looks too too stalky and the leaves don't look right but smell is the only sure way to tell. By the way, I am a Northern California girl as well!

Writing Without Periods! said...

What wonderful food pics and recipe. I must try this. Thank you.
Mary

Kristy said...

How fun! I planted rosemary for the first time this year and can't wait for it to be big enough to pick. That other plant does look like sage I think.

M @ Betty Crapper said...

That bread looks good and easy. I need to ask my mom for some rosemary. She has a huge bush at her house.

Jenny C said...

How gorgeous! I happen to have some rosemary and garlic that need used up soon. From the grocery though... I'm not lucky enough to have such bushes on my street! I love the idea of this bread!

DanielleCorrelle said...

That looks amazing! I have a pot of rosemary on my windowsill. I don't normally "play" with yeast, but I may have to give this a try!

Jenny C said...

I just asked myself... is it too late to make bread tonight? After looking at your pictures again, I decided No, it's not too late. (even though it's pretty darn late out here on the east coast right now) ;)

Fire Wife Katie said...

May your dough rise quickly tonight! :D

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...