Monday, May 24, 2010

Life with a 5 year old

She dutifully washes the coffee table with copious amounts of water and the dingiest sponge she can find. She sometimes washes other things that don't do so well with a thick coat of water, like her homework folder:

Photobucket

Speaking of water, she talks me into letting her soak the flowers with the sprayer in the thin blue evening light.

Photobucket

Speaking of flowers, she begs every day to make a flower cake with the tins I got at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago. Then she corrects me when I do it wrong. She's a tough critic.

Photobucket

Speaking of... I can't think of anything. But she stalks the neighbors. Pepper the cat does, too.

Photobucket

Speaking of neighbors, she loves it when people come over to visit, especially when they bring things that erupt. She hates it when they have to leave at the end of the evening.

Photobucket

Speaking of leaving, she's about to go on a trip to Disneyland but doesn't know it yet. It's a surprise in honor of her finishing up her first year of school. Kindergarten has been the most labor-intensive thing she's done in her short life, and for that, I'm proud of her. I used to make fun of schools that do a graduation ceremony for kindergartners. These days I still make fun of it, but not with nearly the same intensity. I can see now that the beginning is almost as momentous as the end.

9 comments:

Hydrant girl said...

I love the swim goggles! Be sure to take pictures of her face when you tell her about her trip.

Michelle said...

SITS visiting. I love this post - it reminds me of my own kids. My daughters were helping me out around the house over the weekend, and of course they sometimes make more of mess than when they started. I love it though, it really teaches them to be caring, helpful people. :)

Kristin Call said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! I'm loving your images. Really. The flower one is gorgeous. It's wonderful to meet you! I'm excited to dive into your archives. :)

Kami said...

thanks for following my blog! i'm a follower of your blog too:D
the photos are really gorgeous, and the captions are so cute. i especially love your daughters 'stalking of the neighbors'. so adorable! yay for disneyland and things that explode!

cheri said...

beautiful pictures, katie. and congrats to your daughter :) hope disneyland would be a blast!

from SITS :)

JDaniel4's Mom said...

My two year old loves many of the same things. Stopping from SITS!

Jen at Cabin Fever said...

That is so cute she is parked in front of the window like that. I love your flower photo too. Oh, and I almost didn't notice the goggles! How freakin' adorable!

Angelia Sims said...

These photos are just precious! I love how you sum it up so simply and beautifully. My almost step daughter is almost done with kindergarten as well. It was quite a year!
Hope she loves Disneyland, I know I would. :-)

Drama queens mum (Kimberly) said...

Hi. I love your blog. I'm following you now.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...