Wednesday, March 31, 2010

30 Day Shred

I was inspired by fellow bloggers to check out this DVD by Jillian Michaels. When I saw that the workout program, along with a 30 day trial membership to her online community would cost a grand total of $8.95 to arrive at my doorstep, I decided it was worth the investment. Sadly, the closest location of my "nationwide" gym is 25 minutes away. I'm tired of paying for a gym that I never see.

Photobucket

I'm currently on day 5 of the shred. I've lost 2 pounds. My thoughts so far:

1 - I shouldn't have weighed myself until the day after I did the first workout. I retained a lot of water as my body tried to recover after that first workout, so the number on the scale was inflated.

2 - If you're unable to locate some hand weights and find yourself deciding between the glass jars of spaghetti sauce or the cans of beans, for the love of all that is good and right in this world, CHOOSE THE BEANS!! My arms still haven't forgiven me.

3 - Hot bath = very yes. Hot hot. Like get your heart rate up, stings on the way in, can only stand to be in the water for 15 minutes hot. I've found that the bath is most effective right before working out. It makes me feel good going into the workout and I can push myself harder.

4 - Make sure you work out on the bottom floor, so that the pounding of you jumping upstairs doesn't send the kids in to see the spectacle. Apparently, children don't like to see their mother exercising. I'd be scared too, seeing all of that fat jiggling.

5 - Avoid stairs at all costs. Oh, and don't plan on sitting down anytime soon. Your thighs will give out.

And finally...

6 - If you feel the need to curse out Jillian for creating such a torture device, (and you will), you can do so here.

11 comments:

The Coupon Goddess said...

Good for you! I need to get my tushy moving before bathing suit season arrives. I'm not fond of sweating, but all the winter baking has settled in my bottom. :(

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I started and then quit. Probably should pick it back up again. You motivate me. My thighs felt like when your epidural is wearing off. I've heard if you do more than one week (which was all I lasted) that it actually works. :)

Tracey said...

Aww, good for you! I can't believe you're on day 5! (In a row???) I got to day 3 when I started and I couldn't sit down, so I had to take a day or two off. I ended up doing the workout 1-3 times a week and even that helped A LOT. If you combine it with doing a stepladder format on the treadmill (walk, jog, walk, run, etc.) you'll really see a difference! I was trying to do the Shred, treadmill and a yoga dvd last Spring/Summer and in addition to watching my calories, I lost 23lbs! Now I'm pregnant, so... I'm puttin' it all back on! UGH. ;P

Courtney said...

Keep up the good work. Imagine how you'll feel at the end of 30 days - like you can conquer the world!!!

Melissa Creech said...

oh good god- that sounds awful.

Rachel said...

Good for you! I gave up after a few tries with Jillian... somehow I got UN-MOTIVATED seeing ripped chicks while my abs screamed at me...

Yay on the weight loss already!

Shamrocks and Shenanigans said...

I'm your newest follower! :)
Come take a look at my Food Blog http://shamrockandshenanigans.blogspot.com/
I, too am a firewife!! Cant wait to get familiar with your blog!
I love Jillian Michaels!

Cyndi (Fire Wife) said...

Jillian is EVIL! Evil I tell you! ;-)

elizabeth said...

30 day shred...hmmm, I think I need to do something...sigh...:)
Love your blog by the way...

Too Much To Do So Little Time said...

I bought the DVD, too. I started it and then got sick. I'm all better and going to get back to work.

How's your progress?

Fire Wife Katie said...

I need to do it again, I've grown soft! :p I only lost 4 pounds over all, but lost a couple of dress sizes by replacing fat with muscle. It definitely helped!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...