Friday, February 19, 2010

Re-worked living room

Thanks for the feedback! I decided to keep the lamps as they are for now and re-do the living room to incorporate the colors. I came to the conclusion that I wanted to keep the character of the original lamps, and avoid potentially botching up a paint job. So, here it is now:

Photobucket

For comparison, here's the old version my living room:

Photobucket

I headed to Ross and Target to pick up a few things to go with the new color scheme. They had some items that worked, but not quite what I was looking for. Maybe someday when I have a gazillion dollars I'll be able to go all out and buy exactly what I want.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I couldn't find any pillows that I liked; the colors and patterns were all wrong. However, I stumbled upon this faux fur throw on clearance. I'm hoping to make some throw pillows out of it until I come up with a better pillow plan.

Photobucket

My 3 year old saw it in the bag and thought I had brought a dog home. You can imagine his disappointment when he found out it was a blanket.

Photobucket

I need to re-work the overhead hanging lights now that there are lamps in the corners. I'm thinking what I'll do is take one of the lamps for the nursery. Then I'll hang one of the overhead lights in the corner where the lamp used to be and put a big shade on it.

I'm happy with the changes for now. So are the kids (well, aside from the blanket not being a dog). And the husband. We'll see how long this version lasts!

Photobucket

_________

Update - the living room now matches quite nicely with the nursery! Check out the finished nursery in turquoise and brown.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw your lamps on AT & love how you've fit them into your living room. Thanks for sharing!

Shanna Gwilliam said...

LOVE! Now, come help me!
-Shanna

saru said...

I came over here from AT too! I think this you are moving in a great direction with incorporating them into your living room. I'd be tempted to add a jewel tone/celadon throw/throw pillow that has a bit of a pattern to it. I love the yellow vases. They are the perfect shade. You have a great eye for color!

Fire Wife Katie said...

Thanks for stopping by, apartment therapy readers. I think they would have stoned me if I had decided to paint the lamps. But at least they would have used beautiful, creatively designed stones to do it! :)

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

You are really good at decorating, Katie! I'm impressed. I am not good at all. I am more functional. You are so brave to have a white couch!

melaniek said...

Love it! Great job with the new look.

michelle om said...

Another visitor from AT who loves what you've done with the space! I really do think that the lamps are beautiful as they are, and the space now works gorgeously with them.

And if you get tired of them, please mail them to me! :D

wife.mom.nurse said...

Love the colors and the new look of the room. You do have an eye for decorating!

christy rose said...

Wow! it looks amazing!!! these pics could be in a magazine!!

val said...

It looks great. You don't want to see pics of our "decorating skills". lol

paperlilley said...

hi! my name is heather & my husband is also a fire fighter. he's with l.a. county. my friend referred me to your blog. i was looking at this post & my kids came to sit with me(5 & 4). the throw made them have a very in depth discussion about coyote fur & the fact that we too are mammals... hah! (i think it's cute but they just want to pet it... :)

Sarah said...

Hi! I just stopped by and LOVE your look! Where did you get the wall art - the 2 (black and green) on the wall behind the couch? LOVE them!

APF said...

I think it looks great -- the accent colors really add interest to the space and make it look tied together. Plus the lamps seem to match your artwork which is convenient!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...