Sunday, October 18, 2009

Insomnia

It happens more often than not. I don't know why. But for some reason, I can never get to sleep at a decent hour when my firefighter is at work. Usually, the days he's gone are long and I look forward to that time when I can crash in bed and think of nothing in particular. I spend the better part of the day planning to put the kids to bed early, have a bowl of ice cream, watch a chick flick, and get to bed on time.

Photobucket

However, it never works out that way. I usually end up staying awake later than I do on nights when my firefighter is home. I end up on the computer, trying not to let the worries creep into my mind, or just enjoying my me time.

The other time I get insomnia is when I've had Excedrin. I'm really sensitive to the caffeine and I've been known to stay up all night if I take it too late in the day. The good news is that my sensitivity to it makes it super effective on migraines. Some things are worth a lost night of sleep.

Especially lately, when I get so little sleep as it is with my youngest waking up so often, it's rare for me not to be able to fall asleep. But, here I am, still up, while everyone else is blissfully sleeping. I've got no caffeine in my system, and my firefighter (who does, ironically, have Excedrin in his system--he got his second ever migraine today), is home tonight, sleeping in the other room.

I've got a lot on my mind tonight, which must be the root of the problem. I've been thinking about my now 3 year old.

Photobucket

He recently had his birthday, which he adored.

Photobucket

He also recently had a near miss with the swine flu. It struck literally half the kids who attended the church nursery last week. Thankfully, I kept him home with me that day, since he had a slight cold, and I had a migraine (I'm noticing a theme here). He has since had the vaccine, so hopefully he doesn't get hit by it at all.

I've also been thinking about my restless, non-sleeping youngest. We recently added solids to his repertoire in the hopes that it would help him sleep through the night.

Photobucket

It did not. In fact, he woke up right in the middle of this post, about the time I was searching for a picture of Mr. Darcy.

Since being up in the middle of the night seems pretty much unavoidable these days, I've decided that I need to change insomnia from being a frustrating time to being a happy time. I'm thinking that it's time to resurrect the stash of M&M's, only to be eaten in the middle of the night. That should do the trick.

I don't have any M&M's tonight, but I do have a mug of raspberry hot chocolate. So, cheers.

Photobucket

Here's to the new happy hour.

(Ummm... yeah... about that diet...)

4 comments:

Hydrant girl said...

I'm with you - I can't sleep either when dh is at work. I thought I'd love having the bed to myself but it's quite the opposite!

Glad your little guy didn't get sick.

mnlop said...

Try Yoga Nidra - here is a link. Yoga Nidra is deep progressive body relaxation, and every single time I fall into a 30 minuted deep, healing sleep (even though you're supposed to stay awake). I do this if I'm up and can't get back to sleep, and at 40 minutes long, I find a time during the day to do it when I am sleep deprived. I find it cuts back on headaches too (although mine are not the migraine variety, but the tension variety.) I always look forward to yoga nidra time.

http://www.contemplatethis.org/category/yoga-nidra-podcasts/

I usually do the first one listed. Sometimes I pop up another window on the laptop and go to pandora radio and turn it to the Spa channel for nice ambient background music.

It is amazing how effective this is! It takes a little practice to really just let go and so if it doesn't do much for you the first time, try again.

Katie said...

Ha - thanks for the link, Emily! Wow. Flashback to my 8th grade creative writing class when we used to do this. I loved it!

wife.mom.nurse said...

I love staying up late when firehubby is at the station. It's extra me-time.

But at the same time I say that I am also thinking that I don't like insomnia. It keeps me from being the best person I can be, it leaves me irritable...not good.

That cuppa hot cocoa sounds yummy about right now...no M&M's here ,but I may find a cup of hot cocoa.

Sweet dreams.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...