Thursday, October 15, 2009

Firehouse Recipe - Ham Cups

DSCF8651

It's official, I need to start cutting back on the carbs. I've been cherishing my post-baby eat anything I like and don't gain weight phase for too long. The nursing is no longer enough to keep the pounds from creeping up the scale. Goodbye, Oreos. So long, Mountain Dew. My mom's heavenly home-grown apricot jam will have to become the exception rather than the rule.

I'm not cutting carbs out entirely; just replacing some of the most egregious ones with fresh veggies and more filling alternatives. Instead of snacking on rocky road ice cream, I'm munching carrots. Let me tell you... I already miss the rocky road days!

So, in honor of more filling, less sugary (although fairly fatty) foods, I bring you a variation of a recipe from Sara Moulton Weeknight Meals. These ham cups surprised me. They are very flavorful, and make for a great breakfast.

Ingredients:
Sandwich ham slices, 1 - 2 per serving
Pico de Gallo (you could use chopped sauteed mushrooms, bell peppers, or anything that sounds good in an omelet. I get the pre-chopped pico from the salad section at the store.)
Butter
One egg per serving
Grated cheese
Salsa
Sour cream

Grease a muffin tin and place a slice or two of ham to line each cup, with the ham extending above the edges. Scoop in some veggies to half full. Add a little pat of butter and some salt and pepper to taste. Crack an egg on top and lightly poke it down into the veggies. Put a mound of grated cheese on top (I like Monterey Jack).

Bake at 400 degrees for around 20 minutes, or until the top expands like a muffin. (The show suggested 15 minutes for baking, but this was to get a runny yolk - and I'm no fan of runny yolks - so I cook them for longer.) Let them sit for a couple of minutes before removing the ham cups to a serving dish.

Serve with salsa and sour cream.

2 comments:

wife.mom.nurse said...

YUM!!!

Valerie said...

Mmmmh it sounds perfect ! I love that kind of recipes ! I call them "comfort food" :))
(I love your blog, and your children are so cute !)
Valerie, Belgium

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...