Monday, October 26, 2009

Evolution

What comes to mind when you hear the term "evolution?" Probably something similar to what used to come to my mind...

Photobucket

Darwin

Photobucket

Apes

Photobucket

the walking fish...

Photobucket

You know, the standard stuff. Yeah, I used to think of those things too when I heard the word. However, my perception of the term "evolution" has changed, thanks to my firefighter's career.

Now I think of evolution as in doing an evolution--being timed while doing hose lays,

Photobucket

Photobucket

and throwing ladders,

Photobucket

Photobucket

and hauling tools around,

Photobucket

Photobucket

and doing practice rescue-y stuff.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We watched The Academy last night, a show detailing the rigorous firefighter academy for Orange County. It is painfully similar in intensity, length, training, injuries, even down to stealing the guidon, to the academy that my firefighter attended. In it, they detail an evolution. If you have a spare hour, you can give it a watch here.

2 comments:

Mrs. Lukie said...

Too funny...my thoughts are aligned in much the same way, with "hose lay evolutions" and the like ;)

2 of our VERY dear friends are featured on The Academy, so we had another fire couple over on Saturday night to watch our boys in action :) It's a fun show to watch (of course--it's fire related!) but it's twice as fun to watch when you see one or both of your friends every few minutes!

Anonymous said...

I was going through the hiring process with the OCFA but had to drop out when I was hired by my current department. There's no way I would want to go through that experience while being filmed.

Katie's Firefighter

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...