Monday, July 20, 2009

Growing my wings...

See these little hairs?

Photobucket

I love hormones. Just when you think all the side effects of pregnancy are over, you get hit with these lovelies.

Meet the beginnings of my post-post-partum hair loss hair wings.

I don't know if it's the lack of sleep that causes the hair loss, or stress, or pulling my own hair out, or losing that "pregnancy glow," but for some reason, I lose hair by the fistfuls those first few months after the baby comes out. My hairline recedes and thins to scary heights, prompting such endearing comments as "whoa, check that out!" from my firefighter. It's very encouraging.

Then my body decides to grow all that hair back at the same time and I get these buzz-cut bangs. There's just no attractive way to style them, especially when they grow out a bit more.

I think they may have been the inspiration for the first mullet to ever walk out of a salon! I am SO ready when the mullet returns.

--------------------

Update - see how my hair wings are doing now. They grow up so fast! *sniff!*

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my defense, I didn't notice the receding hairline even when Katie pointed them out to me time and time again. My statement of "whoa, check that out!" was only when she was writing this post and I saw them for the first time and realized what she had been ranting about.

-Katie's Firefighter

Julie said...

I have them too. I am actually going to get my hair cut on Thursday! I just can't take the long hair + wispy regrowth + Eleanor yanking on my hair. I was looking at pictures and noticed I did short hair at about 4 months postpartum with each of my girls!

Anonymous said...

I thought it was only me that had those until I went to my hair salon and they laughed at me...

It's an awful stage to go through, but then I just keep looking at my daughter and know that whatever I go through - it's worth it because I have her...

Janice from Jersey

Jules said...

I lost some hair during the pregnancy but that was it (although yeah, there's days I want to pull it out)

Dawn (dandy) said...

I didn't realize this was another wonderful things moms get to go thru after childbirth.

Don't worry Mr. Firefighter we won't hold it against you.

Anonymous said...

With my 1st child I thought I was going bald. Seriously. Thankfully it did grow back (all 3 times) But let me tell you...sideburns on women..not that attractive.

Feeling your pain. :)

MoDLin said...

Oh, this post brought back memories. I felt like I looked like Bruce Willis after my daughter was born. Real pretty picture, huh? Thank goodness it returned to it's usual thick self after about six months. Yours will, too.

Katie said...

Lol, your comments are cracking me up!

And to my firefighter, "it's not my fault if you are exceptionally unobservant." (Bonus points if you can identify the quote!)

Anonymous said...

Sad, but I can. I almost don't want to admit it. I'll let someone else get the bonus points.

Katie's firefighter

Mary K said...

I am in this stage right now and still losing TONS of hair. My son is now 5 months and I have a daughter who is three! I never lost this much hair after her ~ I am glad to know that there are others too! :) Sometimes I am sure its growing back but the amount of hair that I am still losing ~ Makes me lose sight of things! Thanks for your story!

Fire Wife Katie said...

Oh Mary, you should see my hair now -- it is so scary! Thankfully it is growing back, but it looks like I'm trying to grow a mullet! :p The things we do for our children, lol!

Mary K said...

Your hair has grown back every time?? Sometimes I really think that I am going bald!! At times I start not losing as much but than I lose so much again, gosh it's depressing! I cannot even wear a pony tail anymore cause I have a receding hair line! When does it stop??

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...